Tuesday, 21 March 2017

✪ Big & Fabulous, The Life & Times of Brenda Cankles by Randi M. Sherman. Review.

Back at the beginning of February I was kindly asked to read and review a new novel that was being released by Randi M. Sherman. I'll be honest, I'd never heard of this lovely author before I got her email, but as soon as I heard about the book I knew I needed to read it!


*Big & Fabulous, The Life and Times of Brenda Cankles is one of those books that just makes you feel motivated and makes you want to change your view on things. It's an incredible story that I think will be a favourite of a lot of people.

This book is the story of Brenda Merle Cankles, who has always been someone that's stood out in a crowd. If it's not her loud personality drawing everyone's attention, it's most definitely her curvaceous size catching everyone's eye. Brenda has always been big but she learned to love herself & her body a long time ago and she never lets anyone get her down. Brenda grew up being a part of a rather dysfunctional family. Her parents squandered all of their money on Gin and cigarettes and her siblings took no interest in her or her issues, so she grew up feeling like the black sheep of the family. 

The story follows Brenda as she goes through life overcoming all of the obstacles that people may put in front of her (including her own family) because of her size. She stands loud and proud as a plus sized woman and sticks her middle finger up to society for giving her any shit because of how she looks. She loves her body and she lets everyone know that no matter what their opinion of her, she will not change just to make others happy and I love her for that.

Throughout the entire book I was cheering Brenda on and hoping that after all of the rubbish that she'd been through in her upbringing that she'd get herself a happy ending. I saw a lot of similar traits in the character of Brenda and myself, but her attitude is one thing I just don't have. I've always struggled with my body image and never really been content that I am a bigger person, so Brenda's attitude really made me think.



I found the story to be quite simple with nothing major really happening within it, but I loved it. I loved reading about someone that lived the life I wish I had. I wish I had the confidence to say 'screw you' whenever anyone commented on my weight. I wish I had the confidence to wear that mini skirt out on the town and more than anything, I wish that I was as content within my own skin as Brenda is. This story will make anyone that has gone through life being big take a look at themselves and wonder why they bother making themselves feel like crap because of other people. It's an empowering story for those looking for that validation that you're not alone in life, no matter what your issue.


I would recommend this book to anyone that is a plus-sized woman (or man) and to anyone that might want to understand what, as big people, we have to deal with. It's a book that will make you rethink yourself and your ways and will be at the back of your mind for a long time after reading.

You can grab your own copy (or Kindle copy) of Big & Fabulous, The Life & Times of Brenda Cankles over on Amazon! You can also follow the lovely Randi M. Sherman on Twitter or visit her website Randi Sherman Books to find out more about Big & Fabulous and also check out Randi's previous novels!

Let me know if you decide to read this book! It's fabulous!
Laura x  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment & let me know what you thought of the post *insert cheesy grin* x