Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Books | Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.

hello lovelies!
If you read my recent February Goals post you will have seen that this month I plan on reading 5 books. Yup, FIVE whole books....This may not seem like a challenge to some of you, but to me, it is a mahoosive task. I am like a slug when it comes to reading books, it takes me so long to complete a single book but as I love books and stories, I just tend to enjoy the ride for a bit longer than others do....

For Christmas my dad bought me a lovely Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and I've been adding book after book onto it hoping to get through them faster. I'm hoping the fact that I don't have to lug a heavy book around with me will help me with my challenge.




So to begin my challenge, I just completed my first book of February in the form of Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.

The book is narrated from two different points of view, that of Eleanor and that of Park. Eleanor is the red headed new girl and Park is the quiet, yet popular Asian kid. The year is 1986, the place is Omaha, the location is the school bus. Eleanor first encounters Park when he hesitantly growls at her to take the seat next to him on the bus instead of making a scene. They do not speak to one another let alone look at each other, but their secret sharing of comic books sets about a relationship that is too extraordinary for the lives that they inhabit. 

This is the first book of Rainbow Rowell's that I have read and I gotta say, even though it's quite popular amongst the YA population, I didn't quite see the interest in it. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story, the characters and the way that they interacted was actually pretty accurate for today's teens let alone those that were around in 1986. BUT the ending just let me down a lot. It had a great lot of potential and even though it was a lovely gesture at the end it just left me wanting more, which I suppose is what a good book is supposed to do. But I felt like the story just wasn't finished. It ended on a sour note for me and I would've probably liked it a lot more had it had a better ending.
You can pick this up on Amazon for kindle or in physical form - here.

Have you read Eleanor & Park? What did you think to it? Let me know in the comments!
Laura x