Saturday, 31 May 2014

Asylum 12; a Supernatural Convention.

31/05/2014
I mentioned in my last post that I'd recently attended a convention in Birmingham. The convention I went to (along with my mumma) was for the CW show, 'Supernatural'. 

(CAUTION: Photo heavy)
This convention was my third to date and it was called Asylum 12 (if you've seen the show, you'll get the reference), we also attended Asylum 6 in 2011 and Asylum 8 in 2012. The convention takes place over three days at the Hilton hotel in Birmingham. The first day is pretty much just a chill out day where you register and get your con pack which includes your con badge, autograph sheet, con booklet and timetable, the rest of the day is spent wandering the hotel or in our case, looking for Subway for food. This con was a little bit special because the 'organisers' had brought the impala to the convention. If you've seen the show, you'll know what significance the car holds to the show and it's characters, so everyone was really excited to get their photos done next to the car. I didn't get a photo with it (I was too embarassed), but I took a pic for my collection.

Saturday was hectic/tiring. We woke up at 6am, had breakfast at 7am and then queued for the stage talks at 8am. Queuing is pretty much the essential word to describe what mainly happens at the convention. You spend pretty much all weekend stood in queues for autographs, photos, stage talks, breakfast....it's a lot of standing! Saturday is when everything kicks off. The opening ceremony begins at 9am where all the guests are brought out and introduced to the crowd. 

This year's guests were: 
Jared Padalecki (Sam), Misha Collins (Castiel), Ty Olsson (Benny), Osric Chau (Kevin Train AP), Adam Harrington (Bartholomew), AJ Buckley (Ghostfacers!), Gabriel Tigermann (Andy), Mark Pellegrino (Lucifier), Mark Shepherd (Crowley), Amanda Tapping (Naomi), Tyler Johnston (Matt/Samandriel) and musical guest, Jason Manns.


On Saturday, my mum and I mostly spent our day in the main hall listening/watching the stage talks. We went for our Jared photo, which was a bit of a blur. Quite a lot (hundreds) were wanting photos with him, so he had to do three separate sessions and the photos were rushed so that they could get through them. Saturday we also got our Misha/Adam/Osric/Ty/Mark P & AJ autographs, whilst doing this we missed the stage talks, which is one of the annoying things about the cons. The organisers cram everything into two days, so if you go for one thing you miss another, which is so friggin' frustrating. 

 Osric Chau was probably my favourite person at the convention. He was such a sweet guy to meet and get our photo done with. He seemed genuinely excited to be at the convention and to mix with the fans. Ty Olsson, where to begin, he's insane. He seemed hyper a lot of the time during the weekend, but he seemed nice enough and he definitely made the disco a laugh. Adam Harrington - if I'm honest, I was really excited to meet him. If you're a gamer, you might recognise him from LA Noire. LA Noire is my favourite xbox game ever (I made my BF give me is copy) and when I talked to him about it, he said 'oh, did you mow me down a lot?' He was lovely to meet. He's also got an amazing singing voice. AJ Buckley was a sweet guy to meet. I told him my feet were killing me and he said his butt was, so I think I won.


Jared was great. He was a bit of a diva all weekend and held up most of the events, but I blame that on the organisers also because they had too much going on at the same time. He talked about the story for season ten and said that he definitely thinks Sam and Dean have to die at the end of the show. It's the only way. When we got our photo op with him, I looked up at him and all I could think was 'f**k, you're tall'....the photo was a blur as was most of the weekend. But, yeah, he's lovely to meet and seemed happy to be there even though his sidekick (Jensen) wasn't there.

 Mark Pellegrino is fab. I like meeting him because we have a thing about Claddagh rings. The first time I met him in 2012, we both had on our Claddagh rings and he asked me if I was a fan of Buffy because of the significance it had in the show...& of course I am. This time around I asked him if he'd updated his Claddagh ring. He kept saying he wanted to get a diamond put into the heart part of the ring, but he's not got round to it yet. He was jealous of my Argos ring though. He didn't know what Argos was.
Amanda Tapping is lovely. I didn't get to meet her as you had to pay for her autograph, but she was great at her stage talks. She was a bit timid because everybody hated her character, Naomi, and she expected that to be true to her person. She is absolutely lovely and she does a fab Yorkshire accent.



Saturday night we attended the annual Jason Manns concert. If you've not heard of him, check him out. He's got an amazing voice and his rendition of Hallelujah is beautiful. His concerts are one of my favourite parts of the conventions. During his set, Ty and Osric also got up onto the mike and did a bit of singing, which was amusing.


On Sunday, we did the morning routine again. Up at 6, down for breakfast at 7 and queuing at 8. We spent a few hours at the stage talks and then went for our Mark Pellegrino photo op in the morning. He was lovely as always. We then preceded to the stage talks again, where Adam was gracing us with a rendition of a song....not sure which song as it just about ended as we walked in. We stayed in the main hall all day mostly as we couldn't be bothered walking to Subway, so we snacked on junk food whilst watching the blooper reels. 

Then it was time for our Osric photo op. He was great and so gracious towards everyone for wanting a photo with him. He was lovely. Then we went for our Ty photo op, which was supposed to include both me and my mum, but she chickened out and I ended up going alone. The rest of the Sunday was spent queuing for our photo prints to take home. We were in line for over a hour waiting to get to the table and we ended up missing the closing ceremony and everyone saying goodbye, which was a bummer, but we got to take all of our photos home instead of waiting for them, wooop!




All in all, I really enjoyed myself and thought the guests, the con, the experience was amazing. The only thing I hated about it was how disorganised it all was, but that only dampened the experience a little bit. I hope to attend another con in the future, not sure whether it will be next year's or not, we'll just wait and see what happens.
Laura x

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow that looks amazing! Lovely pictures Laura
    love victoriajanex
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my good! Why didn't I know about this? I love Supernatural! It's such a fab show and right up my street. Some of the episodes really freaked me out!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about it until five conventions later either. They're not very advertised unless you're into online surfing SPN.

      The episode that freaked me out the most was 'Bloody Mary' from season one.
      Laura x

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment & let me know what you thought of the post *insert cheesy grin* x