Thursday, April 10, 2014

TAG - The Beauty Bloggers Tag.

I was recently tagged twice by Laura & Jade (Is it sad that I find it amusing? My name is Laura Jade....it is, isn't it? Okay, carry on) to take part in the Beauty Bloggers Tag. I love doing tag posts, so this is right up my street!

Why did you start blogging and how long have you been blogging for?
I have been blogging since August 2012 and I began after reading and watching Bubz Beauty. Her videos and blog are lovely and I wanted to put something out there like she had. Plus it was an outlet for me to talk about makeup and clothing without boring my family.

Whose blog did you fall in love with first?
The first blog that I fell in love with was, Bubz Beauty. I was searching youtube one day for tips on makeup and came across Bubz' youtube channel, which led me to her blog. I adored it then and I still do today. She's fab.

What was the first blogosphere hyped about product that you bought? Was it worth the hype?
It was a giftset from Lush. Before blogging, I'd never stepped foot into Lush, but everyone was raving about their giftsets around Christmas when I'd began blogging, so I asked my boyfriend to buy me one for a present. Worth the hype? No. If you're into that smelly stuff, then you'll love it, but personally for me, Lush's things are far too overpowering for my taste. Sorry, Lush. I wish I liked you, I really do. 

What are your five favourite things about blogging and being a Beauty Blogger?
  • My favourite thing about having a blog is that I something that's mine and it's something that I've built up by myself. I know it's nothing special, but it's amazing for me to look back and see how far it's come. Even now, I never expected people to be tagging me for posts! 
  • Having an Outlet. Blogging has given me that outlet where I can blog about anything I like and talk without being judged. When I first started this blog I was obsessed with makeup and that's where it began, but now it's blossomed into a place featuring anything from makeup and skin care to movies, books and even music. It's amazing how far it's come in such a short time.
  • Blogging Friends. I've found several new friends through blogging and it's lovely to have them there when you want a chat. I'd never be able to just talk to someone IRL without being overrun by anxiety, so blogging has definitely given me something I'd not be able to get without it.
  • Learning new things. Since beginning a blog, I've learned so many new things about makeup, skin care, hair care, etc. Especially makeup. I never knew how to apply eyeliner before becoming a blogger! So clearly, the blogging community has helped me a lot. I've also progressed so much when it comes to designing my blog. Everything you see on my blog has been done by me, so that makes me proud to say that I've learned to do the simplest things like how to position my header and links, etc. It's been a fun experience so far, for sure. 
  • Having a hobby. I don't get up to much in my day-to-day life, so having a blog gives me something to do. It gives me that inspiration to do something. Taking the photographs for posts. Writing up ideas to blog about. Carefully picking out products I want to try and review. It's definitely become a big part of my life, even if I do neglect it sometimes.
What have you learnt from being a Beauty Blogger?
My ability to apply blusher and eyeliner, before discovering blogging, was atrocious. Thanks to Bubz, I know how to apply eyeliner in at least 6 different ways. I've also learned my skin tone, my skin type, what products to use, what not to use....so many things can be put down to the blogging world. It's incredible how much I have learned.

Have you changed anything since becoming a Beauty Blogger?
I've completely changed my skin care regime. Before blogging I just used a face wash in the morning and at night. I didn't use moisturisers, serums, eye creams etc. I just kept it simple, which to be fair was nicer to my purse, but my skin was horrible. I've also learned how to apply my makeup properly, beforehand it just slid off my face after a hour, now it stays put. So, thank goodness for blogging!

What advice would you give to a Beauty Blogger just starting out?
  • Definitely take the time to decide on a blog name. I chose 'Pale Girl Reviews' after a few days thinking about it and even though I did decide on it, I do sometimes wish I could change it. So make sure it's a name that's going to grow with you.
  • Don't use stock photos or photos from google. Even if you take photos on your iPhone, at least they are your photos. Just make sure you have a good quality, good lit picture of what you're reviewing and people should be happy. Also, keep it to a 500-550px size as photos that are too big ruin your layout.
  • Don't make your design too busy. Keep it clean and simple, but put your personality into it. If there's too much going on, people tend to get put off. So, make sure it's also got a good, clear navigational system.
  • Don't compare yourself or your blog to others. The blogs that you look up to have been around a long time and have built up a following, so don't be put off by it. 
  • Don't make it a chore. If you make blogging a chore at some point you will get bored of it. I did this and just decided to step away for a while. So make sure you're enjoying it and post when you want to, not when you feel your followers need you to.
  • Have fun and be yourself.

What are your top 5 makeup brands?
  • MUA
  • Collection 2000
  • Rimmel
  • Maybelline
  • LOreal

Recommend your top 5 beauty products
  • Clinique's High Impact Mascara
  • Rimmel Mineral Power Concealer
  • Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder
  • LOreal's True Match Foundation
  • Collection 2000's Extreme Felt Tip Liner

I tag:
Jess @ Lovely Jubbly
& any other of you beauties that want to have a go :)


Laura x

4 comments:

  1. I totally get why you found being tagged by Laura(me) and Jade amusing! Probably because my names Laura Jade too haha ;)

    I always love to read tag posts, great way to find out more about the girl behind the blog!

    I'm glad you've learnt how to apply eyeliner since becoming a blogger, I still cannot apply it to save my life - it's a nightmare haha!

    Laura x
    http://www.laurasallmadeup.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt sad when I wrote that, but it was a little quirk that made me chuckle :)

      Laura x

      Delete
  2. Ohhh ! I love bubz too ! ^__^ + lovely post btw !

    Check out my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to comment, I appreciate it x