Saturday, April 26, 2014

What I Thought of Lindsay Lohan's Docu-Series.

When I was younger I was one of those girls that loved to watch movies starring the likes of Hilary Duff, Mary-Kate & Ashley and Lindsay Lohan. They were my inspirations when I was younger, but now that I'm twenty years old, seeing how the latter's life has turned out makes me quite sad....so when a show aired in America featuring a just-out-of-rehab, Lindsay Lohan, my first thought was, 'what were they thinking?' and my second was, 'that could be interesting'.

The eight part 'docu-series' promised to give viewers a 'honest, no-holds-barred' look into Lindsay's life as she tried to get her career and life back on track. Unfortunately, this turned out not to be the case at all. The over-hyped show's first two episodes mainly just featured Lindsay's move from LA to New York, her search for a new apartment and countless puffs on a cigarette. It was boring to say the least, but obviously my own interest in past-Lindsay made me curious to see how she was now and I continued to watch the series.
The set up for the show (directed by Amy Rice) is mostly focused on/in Lindsay's new apartment in New York. If she's not sorting out her belongings or getting dressed up for going out, the focus then moves onto her getting followed by paparazzi or hanging out with friends. It's that exciting. But, I've never watched any of the current 'docu-series' *cough* Kardashians *cough*, so I wasn't too sure what to expect.

To say that it is supposed to be a 'documentary' series, Lindsay did seem very difficult to work with. She refused the crew entrance to her apartment several times on scheduled shoot days, she was always late for said shoot days, she caused a foreign magazine shoot to last three days instead of one and she constantly refused to talk about things on camera. All of these things kinda defeats the purpose of a docu-series, in my opinion.

The other focus of the show is, of course, Lindsay's sobriety. Being just days out of rehab, everyone was questioning whether or not she was still sober. Even her 'sober coach', Michael, didn't know whether she had stayed clean. A few episodes into the show, Lindsay does admit that she had a glass of wine at some point, but denied anything else, which is a little bit hard to believe. Throughout the show, she is seen several times amongst friends who are drinking wine, taking vodka shots and at one point, a 'friend' happily talks about the first time he ever got high. Not really the best people to be around when you're trying to stay sober, right? Not only are they drinking in front of her, I noticed several times that they just seemed to tell her what she wanted to hear and, basically, just kissed her arse. The only person that questioned her and told her what she needed to hear was AJ, Lindsay's new life coach. But when AJ began to question her and wanted to know more about her recent activities, Lindsay cut off contact with her. So, it seems that she would rather just have people around her to tell her whatever she wants to hear rather than those that will help her.


I think the highlight to all the show was seeing Lindsay attend her community service. This was one part of the show that I think got everyone's heart, especially when Lindsay meets a little boy called Donovan. To me, it was one of the only parts of the show where we saw a genuine Lindsay, which sadly makes this whole 'docu-series' a farce.

All in all, I think the show has belittled her a lot more than it has lifted her, it hasn't helped her at all. It might have gotten her a few spots on talk shows, but it's, sadly, given people the answers to the rumours and shown that Lindsay still isn't committed to getting her career back on track. Maybe even her sobriety.The whole point to the show was to prove that she had changed and it's a real let down to see this potentially amazing actress become a second thought. It's a shame she couldn't pull it together and prove everyone wrong. I wanted to root for her so bad, but she made it really hard to when she was letting everyone on the crew down....

It's quite a sad 'docu-series'. It really makes you wonder why no one is actually helping her and offering her guidance. Even with a load of people around her, she still appears quite lonely. I just hope that she gets herself better and starts making movies again. She's not 'the best actress there is', but she's really wasting her talent right now.


Anyway, this is just my take on the show and what I took from it, 

you can be the judge when it premieres on May 4th of the TLC channel.
Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time out to comment, I appreciate it x