Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Movies To Watch On Halloween.

Halloween. The time of year where people like to dress up and have fun. For me though, Halloween is pretty much - boring. I like to spend it locked indoors with a lot of junk food and a pile of dvds to keep me company. Over the past few years I've not watched too many new scary movies as they've all been, to be frank, quite crap and repetitive. I, personally, prefer to watch movies from the 80's/90's/early 00's as they were a lot better and didn't need nudity, pretty people and 'famous just for being famous' people in to make them watchable. So I put together a list of some movies that I think would be perfect to watch when Halloween rolls around.



Halloween H20. Not the strongest of the Halloween franchise, I'll admit. But I think it did a good job of updating the Mike Meyers story. I loved the cast, too. Michelle Williams is one of my favourite actresses and Josh Hartnett is a fairly good actor, so I think they were a nice addition to Jamie Lee Curtis' storyline. The movie does drag a little for me, but when it gets going I think it's a really good film and it's definitely something you should watch at least once in your life. 

Jeepers Creepers. This movie creeped me out so much when I first saw it. The 'monster' in it is so disgusting and vile, it really is nightmare material. If you haven't seen it, it's about a brother and sister who happen across a 'flesh eating creature' who is, amazingly, just finishing up on its ritualistic feeding spree. When he catches their scent, he basically hunts them out to eat them. It sound gross and it is, especially the last few seconds. P.S. Don't bother with the sequel.

Scream. I love these movies. I know a lot of people prefer the spoof version, but I really think Wes Craven did a good job with this trilogy (I think of the 4th as 'separate'). The first movie was so strong and then the second a bit bleh, but then wrapping it all up in the 3rd film was brilliant. I loved the twist in it, definitely not what I expected. I also found out recently that the first film was loosely based on a true story, ooh.

My Bloody Valentine. I'll be honest this movie was only watched because of Kerr Smith and Jensen Ackles were cast in it, otherwise I'd have never even bothered with it. The story follows a town of people who suddenly begin getting picked off one by one on the anniversary of the Valentine's Day massacre. When Tom (Dean....I mean, Jensen) returns home, instead of welcoming arms he ends up being accused of the murders. The story is pretty basic, but the twist at the end was the only decent thing about it. Not a classic, but worth a watch I suppose.

Ghostbusters. C'mon, it's a classic! No, it's not terrifying (excluding the creepy librarian lady), but it's perfect for the family to sit down and watch on Halloween. I loved watching this and the sequel when I was younger and thought it was one of the best movies around. If you haven't seen it, I don't think we can be friends (jk!). I can't wait to see what they do with the new film!

Land of the Dead. I'm not that much of a fan of the original zombie films by George A. Romero because they were so slow and made me laugh more than anything. But his updated version of the zombie story was a big step up and it made this movie my favourite of the zombie genre. The gore and the flesh eating FX were brilliant, definitely some of the best I've seen. If you're a fan of the original zombie films this is a must-see. (Also features a minor appearance by Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright!)

Shaun of the Dead. Of course I had to add this to the list. A proper classic British zombie movie, loosely based on George A. Romero's franchise. I think if you have ITV2 you will have seen this at some point in your life, but it's a really good movie that just deserves a place on this list.

Urban Legend. If you're a fan of teen slasher flicks, this will be a good film for you as it pretty much has the same story just a different twist, the murders are being committed based on Urban Legends (aaah, get it?). This isn't a particularly scary film. It does have some tense scenes in it, like a girl driving with an unknown back seat passenger in her car or a terrified Tara Reid running for her life, but it's not a a 10/10 film. It is worth a watch though.

Others - The Burbs, Thir13en Ghosts, Wrong Turn & a cute, very corny, family film, Double Double, Toil and Trouble starring the Olsen twins :)

All of these movies are worthy of a watch, so if you get a chance pop them on!
What movies would you recommend?
Laura x 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for explaining different beauty care products. This post is really helpful in choosing the best beauty care products. I will recommend this beauty care products to my wife.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to comment, I appreciate it x