Sunday, April 07, 2013

REVIEW | Dainty Doll Foundation in 003 Medium.

Hello lovelies!
Like a fair few of beauty bloggers on my dashboard, I jumped onto the Dainty Doll bandwagon and purchased a few bits from Fragrance Direct. [I reviewed the blushers that I picked up here]. I decided to hold off reviewing the foundation I picked up until my recent outbreak cleared up a little bit; foundations are good, but they're not that good. Not the ones I pick up anyway.
Dainty Doll Liquid Foundation || Shade #003 Medium
Like I said in the blushers post, I've been wanting to try out Nicola Roberts Dainty Doll make-up since I heard about it. It's designed specifically for pale skinned ladies, so I thought that it would be the perfect match for my skin and wouldn't make me look pasty like most other foundations do. I was on the look out for 'the one' and I had high hopes for this.

Retails @ Boots for £22 

I picked this bottle up for around £4 from Fragrance Direct (it's currently sold out) which I thought was an absolute steal. I thought I was seeing things when I saw the total at the end. It was so cheap and a got quite a few products for the price.

The packaging is really lovely. I particularly enjoy the outer packaging with the ginger haired girl on the front and the added touch of the shimmery writing. The bottle itself is a sleek black with a clear tubing. I loved the design of it as it came with a pump....but when I noticed that it wasn't working as well as I thought it should, I opened the lid and saw that the pump ends with the lid. Definitely not something I've come across before. It still dispenses the foundation out, but I don't really know what to do when I've used up some of the product...as you can see it's a very small 'pump'.

Comes in 4 shades || 001 Very Light, 002 Light, 003 Medium & 004 Dark

The shade I picked was #003 Medium. I'd done some research prior to buying it and found that a lot of pale ladies had purchased the palest shade of the Dainty Doll foundation and realised that it was way too light for them. As with habit, that is what I intended to do, but after seeing their reviews, I decided on the medium shade. As the two lightest shades looked way too pale and the darkest, I thought, could possibly be too dark. Luckily for the medium it's just perfect for my skin tone. 


The formula of the foundation isn't thick, it's actually a bit too thin for my liking, but applies nicely. It doesn't go on cakey, which is something I always worry about. It does give my skin quite a shine though, which isn't too good for oily skin. The coverage with this one isn't the best either, definitely light to medium, which again isn't good on my acne prone skin.

Wearing the foundation, W7's cover stick & the 'Money Talks' blusher.

All in all, this foundation wasn't what I was expecting. Especially for the original price tag, I think they were delusional thinking that it was worth £22 of someones money. I'm not going to run it into the ground because it may work a lot better on skin that isn't oily and isn't prone to get spots, but for me, it's not the one.

Have you picked up some Dainty Doll bargains? What do you think?
Laura x

12 comments:

  1. It's a shame this didn't work out for you, it does look lovely in the photograph! The pump is ridiculous though x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I know, it's ridiculous, good job I checked it x

      Delete
  2. I've heard a few people say that the Dainty Doll foundations weren't that good, £22 is way overpriced maybe that's the reason the brand failed. I love their blushes and lipsticks, but seeing as Dainty Doll is supposed to be for pale skin it's pointless if the face products are rubbish- I wasn't too impressed with the concealer it's way to thick and drying x

    www.beautiful-solutions.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their blushers, I've yet to buy a lipstick though, I've had my eye on the 'Baby Love' one for a while now x

      Delete
  3. I have the mineral foundation, the concealer pot, concealer click pen and a lipstick. The best one out of these is probably the lipstick, and I'm not even too keen on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really disappointing, I'm just glad I didn't pay full price x

      Delete
    2. Yeah same here, I think I paid about a tenner for the lot!

      Delete
  4. I bought a few of the blushers but didn't bother with the foundation as I wasn;t sure about getting the right shade - looks like I didn't miss out on too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you weren't hun, the blushers aren't too bad though x

      Delete
  5. What shades in other brands is the DD003 comparable to? I'm trying to figure it out exactly because I'd hate to order it from overseas and not be able to return it if it doesn't match! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that it's a bit like L'Oreal's True Match in shade 'Ivory', but it's a light coverage, so it's a little bit lighter than that.

      Sorry if that made no sense, I haven't used this in a while x

      Delete
  6. What shades in other lines is this comparable to? I'm wanting to order from overseas but I'd hate to get it and it not be quite the right shade. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to comment, I appreciate it x



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...